Thursday, December 8, 2011

LIVING THE DREAM

December 8, 2011
Dear Dreamers:

This is something I wrote several days ago.  I hope you enjoy.
On my hike in Griffith Park today, it occurred to me that, in a way, I’m living my dream.  On the hills, I’m not the mundane over-the-hill (no pun intended) person I sometimes feel like...no!... I’m an explorer, an adventurer, a thrill-seeker!  And I’m out there on my own!
Hiking in Griffith Park is a spectacular experience.  The park is a huge expanse of hills, trails, places to play for people of all ages.  And tucked in the midst of such committed civilization, it’s a great wonder and respite.  The trails wind sensuously around the hills, in and out of the sunshine and the shade, up, down and around, leading to new experiences around each turn.  Taking a new path is an adventure...who knows where you’ll end up!
This is my favorite time of year.  The air is cool, brisk, damp.  In the sunshine, I love to feel the warmth on my skin...holding my face up toward the sky, feeling the sun’s caress, I’m in love.  In the shade, I get to experience the cool breezes and enjoy the engulfing smells.  Ahhh, it’s heaven.
Usually I hike alone. Naturally, there’s lots of time for expansive thoughts and observations. In the fresh air and sunshine, my mind clears, my body energizes and my spirit expands.  I wonder a lot... what those people are talking about, how that tree stands so straight with half it’s base and roots hanging out of the side of the hill, how that little girl managed to hike up so high.  I see squirrels playing, birds soaring... Once I saw a coyote and, quick as that, he disappeared. I wonder if these animals are permanent residents here, or just transients.  I wonder what it would be like to live here, in the woods.   The other day two doe scampered across the path right in front of me.  I caught my breath, then laughed with another woman, sharing the excitement...the exhilaration of wildlife!
I almost always have a smile on while I’m walking....I’m sooo happy.  I smile at fellow travelers, sometimes saying hello.  Most of the time, my greeting is returned.  I don’t take it personally if it’s not, but then I wonder why it’s not and what’s going on for those people.  I wonder, and I’m grateful, that not more people are on the trails.  Today I heard a woman, hiking with two others, complaining about “the fucking baby.” I didn’t hear the context...but in the surrounding silence and beauty, her words were jarring.  I wonder why others go there...just to get exercise, fresh air, sunshine, be in nature?  What I believe is, Griffith Park is a haven in my back yard just for me.
I love all the sensual aspects of being in this place, but mostly I love the smells.  The exertion of the hike makes me breathe deeply, and I consciously take in those breaths analyzing each one for it’s special flavors.  Surrounded by all sorts of foliage...trees and bushes.... I sense a little evergreen here, a hint of rosemary there...a grand repast for my nose!
Sometimes I hike with my friend Julie.  She and her husband are real HIKERS....for miles, for hours.  Sometimes they go to exotic places, like the Angeles Forest, but she loves Griffith Park, too.  Most of the time, after our hikes we stop at Trails, the cafe at the base of one of the paths leading up to the Observatory.  There we enjoy superb coffee and scrumptious food and it’s always a joy to hang out at that cozy spot after a good workout.  I love being able to share this experience with a good friend.
I began this essay by claiming I’m “living the dream.”  It has been, and continues to be, a deep desire to spend more time in nature.  Happily, I am able to accomplish that goal through the bounty of nature that surrounds me as an Angelino...the ocean, the mountains.  Given the choice of any place to live, this will certainly do for now!
‘Til next time...
Happy (day) dreaming!
Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment