Thursday, January 12, 2012

SOUTINE AND A BIG BROWN HAT

January 11, 2012
Dear Dreamers:
I am in a school studying art.  It’s not an art school, but rather a school like the Learning Annex.  One of the students is working on a painting that rather looks like a Soutine...dark and chaotic.  While several of us agree that it’s a pretty unappealing painting, the instructor is very encouraging to the artist.  The image shifts to several of us sitting in the cafeteria talking about how awful the teachers are.  A few tables away I see a man I know (let’s call him Jack) who is a friend of a friend. I walk over to talk to Jack, say hello, and then turn to the chair next to him and start talking to my friend and neighbor, who is not there.  Jack asks me why I’m talking to an invisible person.  I respond that he was there in spirit, and I just believed he was there. Cut to...
a shoe store in a mall.  The store is large, packed with people and product, and rather ordinary looking.  They are having a sale and it’s very busy. I try on a pair of flesh color boots but decide I don’t like the color.  The sales girl brings me a hat to try on, big, brown and felt, but I tell her I’m not interested and the scene fades and I awaken.  
***
So I'm studying art...the art of life. Clearly I reject what is dark and chaotic...that's good.  But there are no clever and reliable teachers around to help me create what I am wanting.  Cut to where I’m talking to my friend that isn’t there.  My statement that I believe “he was there in spirit, and I just believed he was there” is a really powerful affirmation of a powerful belief system that I strive daily to integrate into my life...to believe in, and trust, that there are actually spirits, and that these spirits are friends and guides who support us through our lives.  This is an awesome expression of faith which I continue to contemplate.
Freud says shoes, or feet, represent female genitalia, as do hats.  Hmmm.  They also can represent the direction of one’s life or lifestyle.  I’m not sure what to say about the genitalia interpretation, except to note that it’s interesting the boots are flesh color.  Hmmm.  On the other hand, what might these symbols say about lifestyle?  I try on a new pair but reject them, as I do the hat.  What this says to me is that as much as I believe I want to create a new way of life for myself, perhaps this is not the time and/or I’m not ready.  Is patience in order?  Can I trust in my spirit guide to let me know when the time is right?  
What do you think?
‘Til next time...
Happy dreaming!
Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment