Tuesday, January 3, 2012

THE ODYSSEY

January 3, 2012

Dear Dreamers:

Last night’s dreaming led me on an odyssey!  
I was standing by myself in a beautiful woodsy area in the mountains, shaded by tall trees.  In front of me, curving in the shape of a half moon, was a small apartment building.  It was only two stories high, with dark siding that appeared to be metal, and dark wood doors.  Each door had a large window in its center.  The building was very modern, but somehow blended with the natural surroundings and looked perfect in that setting.  I was contemplating living there, but it seemed like the rooms themselves were small. I never got to find out because the scene changed to
my friend’s home.  She was rushing to show me something but I can’t remember what.  Moving quickly from room to room, we were both in a hurry but she kept asking me to wait, insisting this was something I should see.  I never got to see it, as there was a car horn honking outside for her and she had to leave...we both left and I then was in 
a bazaar.  Though the feel of the place was foreign, like Tibet, the people spoke English.  I roamed through the sunny narrow streets, thoroughly enjoying exploring this new place.  It was very congested, with crowds of people and vendors cluttering what little walking area there was.  Small crumbling centuries-old grey-brick buildings lined the passageways.  In front of one building was a nicely-dressed woman selling acupuncture treatments.  I thought it might be a good idea to check it out.  There was a line of people waiting to get these treatments, and I joined the queue.  When it was my turn, I asked how much it would cost.  She said “two to six, depending on the treatment.”  “Two to six what?” I asked, “dollars?”  She smiled.  “Hundred dollars.”  I thought about it a minute, then left, deciding that I could get exceedingly excellent acupuncture treatments at home for a much better price.  I then awoke.
***
In past dreams, I’ve been in big, bright buildings, open and spacious.  Now I’m seeing smaller, more congested spaces.  If, as I believe, the buildings represent me, what is this saying?
At first glance, it would seem as if the buildings are telling me I’m losing myself and breaking down.  While that doesn’t sound so good, further exploration will uncover what I believe to be a more positive spin on that same message.  Let’s say the modern structure, the apartment in the woods, may represent the conscious ego state, while the older buildings could represent the unconscious.  The fact that the apartment building has small rooms and is in shadow while the buildings in the bazaar are many and in the sun could indicate a receding of an old image of myself to make way for a new one.  The "crumbling" of the bazaar structures would also support this theory.  If this is so, it is in alignment with my current desire to shift old ways of being and to, indeed, create a me that is more spiritual, open and allowing;  a me that is more flexible and fearless in the face of the changing winds of 2012.  What is heartening is that, according to these images, I am actually succeeding...the apartment is small and in shadow, i.e. retreating, while the buildings in the bazaar are many and in the sun, and I was “thoroughly enjoying exploring this new place.”  
An interesting shift, to be sure, and I will be paying close attention to how my buildings come forward in future dreams!


What do you think?


'Til next time...
Happy dreams!


Bev 

No comments:

Post a Comment